Football/Sports Update – Dec. 15th, 2016
As you may have noticed, I’ve made one more new change to show what may be normal next season when we try this again. Expect it now at Thursday until the regular season is over.
Night Football Games
As a test for next season, I’m extending my predictions to the 3+ major/special games per week. Due to how late in the season this is being started, I am combining the record for these games each week, for a total of 9 games.
- Thursday: Seattle Seahawks over the Los Angeles Rams
- Saturday: Miami Dolphins over the Nw York Jets
- Sunday: Dallas Cowboys over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Monday: Washington Redskins over the Carolina Panthers
Applebee’s Football Picks:
Each week during the season the Applebee’s where I am from has a weekly $10 gift certificate for everyone who picks 5 winning teams of that week. They can pick any team they choose, though all 5 of their picks have to win to win the certificate. This week is different – with Thanksgiving games, we have a special section of picks this week.
My record for last week was 4 and 1. My season record is 0 and 14, with an overall record this season of 41 and 32 in 73 games.
Last Week’s Picks:
- Minnesota Vikings beat the Jacksonville Jaguars: Damn it, why is it when I’m wrong the teams I want to lose don’t? No offense Vikings fans, but I naturally want my GF’s Packers to be happy, and you winning doesn’t help.
- Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Buffalo Bills
- San Diego Chargers lost to the Carolina Panthers: And this is the one this week leaving me winless this season in gift certificates.
- Cincinnati Bengals beat the Cleveland Browns
- Tennessee Titans beat the Denver Broncos: I hate picking against friends teams, especially when it becomes pointless.
This Week’s Picks:
- Minnesota Vikings over the Indianapolis Colts: Again, no offense to Vikings fans, but I’d prefer the reverse. However, defensively, the Vikings are better than the Indianapolis offense, and the new home stadium seems to be playing in Minnesota’s favor.
- Green Bay Packers over the Chicago Bears: As a Bears fan, I always want my boys to win. However, even though the Bears will enjoy home field advantage, Green Bay is statistically better in yards, points, and 3rd down conversions, and even though the Bears are better defensively in points allowed and 3rd down conversions allowed, there’s a reason the Bears are last place in the division. That, plus the PED nonsense.
- Detroit Lions over the New York Giants: Once more, apologies to the Lions fans, BUT the Lions have a 5 game win-streak, a better record in their division and a better offense than the Giant’s defense. The one thing the Giants have: Home field advantage.
- Tennessee Titans over the Kansas City Chiefs
- Houston Texans over the Jacksonville Jaguars
Favorite Teams picks:
Unless there’s good reason, I rarely choose my favorite teams in any of these contests – I don’t want to throw bad karma their way by picking them. (Yes, as silly as it sounds, sometimes I believe in luck!) My favorites are the Chicago Bears, a team I grew up with and enjoy watching/cussing out, and the Green Bay Packers, another team I enjoy watching and have current local ties to. (I am also an odd duck, since these are rival teams, and their fans like to razz me for it. When they play each other, Bears over the Packers.)
To be fair, I also pay attention to the other NFC East teams, in particular the Minnesota Vikings (a rival to both of my favs, though a favorite of many of my friends – #3 in ranks of who I want to win) and the Detroit Lions (with no friend ties, this team could go 0-16 like they did a few years back and it wouldn’t bother me much – I just don’t want them to beat my teams.)
My record this week is 2 and 2 with the games below and the Packers and Lions games. My overall record is 8 and 6 in 14 games.
My picks last week were:
- My pick for the Minnesota Vikings win is above.
- Detroit Lions beat the Chicago Bears: So close, but sadly I was right.
- Seattle Seahawks lost to the Green Bay Packers: There are times where I’m glad to be wrong in my assessments, and in this case, it makes my Packer fan GF happy – plus keeps them in the hunt for the playoffs. (I’m writing this with 5 minutes left in the game – yes, if this stands, that’s how badly I was wrong by!)
My picks for this week are:
- My picks for the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions and the Minnesota Vikings are listed above, with the Chicago Bears playing against Green Bay. As a result, no need to change this area.
Since this is the last one before Christmas, I’m wishing you a Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Holidays – I’m sorry if that upsets any readers, but even if you don’t celebrate a holiday of some sort, shouldn’t you be celebrating something? See you next week!