If you’ve been following the blog the last few weeks, you know I’ve been making some changes – and didn’t post anything last week. (This wasn’t due to a lack of things to say, however – just a retooling of how I will say it!) In the meantime, I didn’t post anything regarding sports – time to fix that!
Football/Sports Update – Dec. 11th, 2016
Applebee’s Football Picks:
Each week during the season the Applebee’s where I am from has a weekly $10 gift certificate for everyone who picks 5 winning teams of that week. They can pick any team they choose, though all 5 of their picks have to win to win the certificate.
My record for last week was 2 and 3. My season record is 0 and 13, with an overall record this season of 37 and 31 in 68 games.
Last Week’s Picks:
- New Orleans Saints lost to the Detroit Lions
- Green Bay Packers beat the Houston Texans
- Philadelphia Eagles lost to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Denver Broncos beat the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Washington Redskins lost to the Arizona Cardinals
This Week’s Picks:
- Minnesota Vikings over the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Pittsburgh Steelers over the Buffalo Bills
- San Diego Chargers over the Carolina Panthers
- Cincinnati Bengals over the Cleveland Browns
- Tennessee Titans over the Denver Broncos
Favorite Teams picks:
Unless there’s good reason, I rarely choose my favorite teams in any of these contests – I don’t want to throw bad karma their way by picking them. (Yes, as silly as it sounds, sometimes I believe in luck!) My favorites are the Chicago Bears, a team I grew up with and enjoy watching/cussing out, and the Green Bay Packers, another team I enjoy watching and have current local ties to. (I am also an odd duck, since these are rival teams, and their fans like to razz me for it. When they play each other, Bears over the Packers.)
To be fair, I also pay attention to the other NFC East teams, in particular the Minnesota Vikings (a rival to both of my favs, though a favorite of many of my friends – #3 in ranks of who I want to win) and the Detroit Lions (with no friend ties, this team could go 0-16 like they did a few years back and it wouldn’t bother me much – I just don’t want them to beat my teams.)
My record this week is 2 and 2 with the games below and the Packers and Lions games. My overall record is
My picks last week were:
- My picks for the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions were listed earlier.
- Minnesota Vikings lost to the Dallas Cowboys
- Chicago Bears beat the San Fransisco 49ers: I heard from a few birdies tell me how unsportsmanlike Kaepernick was. I was unable to see it due to the local Fox station’s choice of playing the Detroit game instead, but if it knocks the chip off of his shoulder, that’s a good thing – no good protest can come from someone being a jackass. On a plus side: The Bears won without Cutler – isn’t that enough reason to send his multi-million-dollar-waste-of-an-ass packing?
My picks for this week are:
- My pick for the Minnesota Vikings is above.
- Detroit Lions over the Chicago Bears: Normally, I’d pick the Bears in any game over the Lions (and I’ll still want them to win) – but the Lions are statistically better, they’re playing on their home field, and the Bears are missing a couple of key players to dumbassed decisions (seriously, shouldn’t Performance-Enhancing Drugs improve performance?,) making this a logically sound, if unsettling, choice.
- Seattle Seahawks over the Green Bay Packers: While I’m rooting for the Pack, statistically the Seahawks are doing better, and Green Bay’s defense is pretty banged up. That being said, it IS December, and we’re going to have snow to play with…
Tuesdays are usually results, while Fridays are usually picks. See you next week!